The second coming of Christ is not something in the far distant future. The way many of us act and live seems to indicate: we don’t even think He is coming back at all. But the signs of His second coming are evident all over. Today we shall study a passage that gives us a clearer idea of this matter.
II. BIBLE READING
Matthew 24:3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?” 4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains. 9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 2 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but he who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
Matthew 24:40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left. 42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him. 45 “Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns. 47 I tell you the truth, he will put him in charge of all his possessions. 48 But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, ‘My master is staying away a long time,’49 and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50 The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51 He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (NIV)
A. Signs That Jesus’ Second Coming Is Near (vv. 3-8)
- What are the signs that Jesus’ second coming is near? (vv.5-8)
- How many of these signs do we see happening now? NOTE: According to scientific records, the frequency of big earthquakes in the world from the 9th century up to now is as follows:
9th Century______________ 1
11th Century_____________ 2
13th Century_____________ 3
16th Century_____________ 2
17th Century_____________ 2
18th Century_____________ 5
19th Century_____________ 9
20th Century (up to now)___ 49
What do we conclude from these signs?
B. Troubles And Persecutions (vv. 9-14)
- What will happen to the believers during the end times? (vv..9,10,11,12,13,14)
- Verse 11 says that many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. Cite examples of this today.
- Why did Jesus warn them about these?
C. The Suddenness Of His Coming (vv. 40-44)
- How did Jesus describe the scene when He comes again? (vv. 40,41) What is the meaning of “one will be taken and the other left” Taken to where?
- When is He coming? (v.42) Since this is the case, what must we dot (v.44) How do we prepare for His coming?
D. The Faithful And The Wicked Servant (vv. 45-5l)
- What did the faithful servant do to merit his Master’s approval? (v45,46)
- What does it mean for the faithful servant to give others food at the proper time?
- Give concrete examples of how we carry these out.
- What happens to the faithful servant? (v. 47)
- Describe the wicked servant. (vv. 48, 49) In what ways are we sometimes like him? What happens to the wicked servant? (vv. 50, 51)
- Most of us have already heard of the second corning of Christ many times. But to some of us, it doesn’t seem to make much difference in our lives. Why is it so?
REFLECTION: If my Lord should come at this very moment, what will He say to me? Would I welcome Him eagerly, or would I hide away in fear or shame? Why?
Our Lord Jesus Christ is coming back very soon. Let us prepare ourselves and be good and faithful servants, eagerly awaiting His return.